Tuesday, June 28, 2011

"The Priest with the Dirty Clothes" by R.C. Sproul

The Priest with Dirty ClothesSnack of Choice:
There are days that you just need to celebrate victories. Today was one of those days, so I celebrated with a small (and I mean small) coffee and Boston Cream donut from the KING... of Donut’s, Mr. Dunkin. Thanks for the memory!

Story behind the story:
I received an electronic copy of this children’s book to review from Reformation Trust. No contract necessary! (and no requirements for a positive review). I had to come back after the great experience with “The Prince’s Poison Cup.”

Story Line:
R.C. Sproul, one of the great Christian thinkers of our time, has a desire to make complex theological concepts that make adult minds swirl and eyes glaze into something that even a child can understand. This story deals with the Imputation of Justification (that was fun). Basically, “how we are made acceptable to God through Jesus Christ’s righteousness” (5). 
It’s is rooted in the Scriptural event found in Zechariah 3:1-5 and the story of the Joshua (the high priest in the Biblical book of Zechariah, not the winner of Moses’ series finale of “The Apprentice”)


The Real Story:
Let me start by saying, I’m willing to read this book to our seven year old. I think it has great truths that can be seen in this creative story. It does help clarify for the child (and the adult) the amazing gift we’ve been given of righteousness before GOD ALMIGHTY! It clearly shows the cost to the Prince (not in terms of Jesus’ physical sacrifice, but the Phil 2 “emptied Himself” kind of sacrifice). Oh, and just in case you didn’t know... [spoiler alert] the Prince is in fact Jesus and the King is God the Father.

HOWEVER, I’m not big on the use of the “priest” and “bishop” as represented in this story. The author seems to interchange the idea of the Old Testament priest with a Middle Ages Catholic Priest (I hope there is a distinct difference). In the parent page, he explains that every Christian is a priest unto God, but that isn’t really revealed in the story and the pictures portray a monastic kind of priesthood that could be confusing for a child’s understanding of FAITH that doesn’t involve the priest of “THE CHURCH.” Don’t get me wrong, I love for believers to be labeled as priests, because that’s what we all are (1 Peter 2:9a, Rev 5:10, etc); but it should be distinct from that of the Catholic role (no references available).

A man (the author) of such theological caliber obviously knows the distinctions of which I have written, and I don’t believe we would be in disagreement on these points what so ever. I just want the books with a spiritual purpose that I read to my kids to avoid unnecessary confusion.

Check out:
Zechariah and Romans (GREAT STUFF)

Rating:
3 out of 5 freshly laundered garments

1 comment:

  1. Sounds interesting it looks like something I would like to read myself. I mean read to Lydia of course :)

    ReplyDelete