Monday, March 28, 2011

Velveteen Bible - NKJV

The Velveteen BibleSnack of Choice:
Breakfast is better if it's waffles. Not those crazy Belgian waffles, but the old fashioned machines past on from generation to generation.  A traditional 4 panel waffle with a classic 7x7 hole ratio. This, matched with a fluffy topping of "Peanut Butter Stuff" (1 cup peanut butter, 1/2 cup butter, 1/4 syrup -- whipped) makes the morning worth getting up for. Grab your Kuerig coffee and you're ready to go.... or just grab an Eggo.


Story behind the story:
I'm building my library for the next generation (just like my waffles). Thomas Nelson helped me out with this one. They provided me with a free copy with the agreement that I will write a review (but it doesn't have to be a positive one). I hope to use these resources to encourage the faith of my future children. 



Story Line:
This keepsake Bible is just in time for Easter (I think that's the intention). The Velveteen Rabbit on the front and the colorful illustrations with animal pictorial representations of a particular verse or psalm make this product standout for a great gift from the aunt or grandmother or mom. The Bible comes in a gift box with a magnetic lid and utilizes the New King James Version.


The Real Story:
I tell you the truth, Wikipedia JUST reveled to me what "Velveteen" is. And they say it's not a  reliable source -- ha! It's a "cotton cloth made in imitation of velvet. The term is sometimes applied to a mixture of silk and cotton." At least it sounds great. To a great extent I think this resource is probably for the adults more than the child for whom this gift is intended. A Bible really isn't meant to be looked at, but to be read. The only thing besides the Text and the pictures is a "read your Bible through in a year" calendar -- just the tool a child needs. That may be a little harsh, but I really do like it.


Check out:
The Word is powerful by Itself, but another Bible Story Book that makes it simple for a child would be recommended.


Rating:
3.5 out of 5 imitations of velvet?

1 comment:

  1. I have a velveteen, this book sounds lovely perfect for us. Hop over to our blog to see Chocolate Chip our Velveteen-he is prominent
    over there. Wanted to say congratulations on your blogs May win at Multnomah. I was just checking the winners out.

    http://bunniesthreads.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete