Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Reading/Review Update


Just thought I would let you know what you can look forward in regards to coming reviews. I have been told to enjoy this "free book" thing in careful moderation...If I were to have eaten all the books that I now am obligated to review, I would fit the well established and generally overused complaint against bishops and their substantial girth. Good thing my name isn't Ezekiel (3:3).


Radical: Taking Back Your Faith from the American Dream"RADICAL" by DAVID PLATT
Provided by Multnomah

Heard WAY to much about this book. Expectations are at an Everest kind of level. It makes me not want to like it. But so far so good.

Also he's a part of "The Elephant Room" coming up at the end of March, so I'm looking forward to hearing from him and others.



Life of Andrew Jackson"LIFE OF ANDREW JACKSON" ed. JOHN S. JENKINS
Provided by New Leaf Publishing Group
I thought I told you I hated biographies? Have I learned NOTHING from 5th Grade History class?? But actually, I'm pretty excited about it. It's a reprint of the 1850 version. Compact, rugged edges. Kind of exciting to look at. (I am first and foremost a book collector, not primarily a book reader)

I think it's intended to be a supplimental text for homeschooler.



VELVETEEN RABBIT BIBLE - NKJV
provided by Thomas Nelson

A nice gift Bible I look forward to giving to a special kid.




From the Library of A. W. Tozer: Selections From Writers Who Influenced His Spiritual Journey

FROM THE LIBRARY OF A. W. TOZER ed. JAMES STUART BELL
provided by Bethany House Pub.

So, I thought, A. W. Tozer... it's about time I read some. Never have. Always thought I was missing out. What a great opportunity. I need to learn to read the descriptions... The book is not a compilation of HIS writings, it is a compilation of works by authors who had an impact on him. DOH! Will have to buy [gasp] a Tozer one of these days.

I am, however, eager to read this compilation of writings from authors who greatly influenced A. W. Tozer...



Dragons: Legends & Lore of Dinosaurs
DRAGONS: LEGEND & LORE OF DINOSAURS
provided by New Leaf Publishers

Look at the cover. Just look at the cover! Of course I requested this book. No it does not fit on the bookshelf, but... well... I WANTED IT! It's supposed to contain a biblical perspective on such matters. Although during the "New Arrival" perusal I did see "apocrypha" more times than I wanted (i.e. Daniel "14" - "Bell and the Dragon")

SUMMARY
I think that's it. I'll let you know. If you REALLY want to hear about one over the other, let me know. I now take requests :)


No comments:

Post a Comment