Thursday, March 24, 2011

"Radical" by David Platt



Snack of Choice:
Homemade hand tossed Pepperoni and Mushroom Pizza. Handed down from a long tradition (well, honestly, just my dad). And, yes, it probably did cost more than the $10 special at Pizza Rut... I mean "Hut". But with a nice toss salad, Master Card says it best -- "priceless."


Story behind the story:
Radical: Taking Back Your Faith from the American Dream (Audiobook CD)Ah yes. I know you are wondering -- Where did Chris get this great resource, and how can I get this resource for me? Little known secret -- this adds to my collection of free material I have received simply for giving my opinion about these resources - positive or otherwise. This resource was provided by the blogging system of WaterBrook/Multnomah with no restrictions on my written material.
Read Chapter One Here:

Story Line:
The American Dream! The striving for more. The "If I only had..." kind of living. Where am I focusing my energy and resources? What for? "Radical" challenges the norm (as it's title implies"). The tag line is "Taking Back Your Faith from the American Dream." As a believer, our focus is (or should be) different. It's not simply that our eternal destination has changed. Our values have changes as well. More specifically the things we place value and importance on. This book encourages the reader to see themselves in light of the World-wide need for the Gospel. What are you willing to do to get the Message out? Does that change when you open your wallet? Does that change when the call goes out for servants? Are we living extravagantly while neglecting the physical and spiritual needs all around us? 

The Real Story:
This book is a missions manual - plain and simple, but that should become more and more "Christian Living." We all are called to step out of our comfort zone (even those who "have nothing" according to America's standards) and engage the world with some Great News. The author challenges us to evaluate what this life is about since Christ has radically changed my life. What are my goals and purposes -- to please myself or to serve others in light of His Gift. He balances the "declaration of the Gospel" with meeting real life needs -- which, by the way, IS the Gospel. His fresh terminology, especially using "Faith Family" to describe the "Church," provides a perspective on those words we've become accustom to. It refocuses our "Christian Vision." Church is not a place, but a people who are to GO OUT!


I've read many "Missions" books and "Christian Living" books, but this one takes the cake (or pizza pie -- see above for directions). It's challenging and practical and for everyone. The best part is that people are reading it. It was on the New York Times Bestseller list. I hope we move past the reading and into the doing. 


There are practical steps that we can take and commit to that will help us as we shift our focus from ourselves to the world. I would encourage you to try it out and see what God will do in your life. You may not be rich, but you will have SO much more.

Check out:
Radical... I know, this is supposed to be a different book. OK. "Radical Together" is coming out now, go for that one too.

Rating:
5 out of 5 Upside-down Houses. Is yours one of them?

3 comments:

  1. Awesome overview of this book! I read it recently and it really resonated with me. I am thinking through how I can apply this to my life in practical ways. Also just ordered Radical Together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi, u have a nice blog, anyway, i added u, pls add me back, thanks.

    http://ruthrush.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. A must read for every Christian! I had to re-read & stop at think at the end of every page. It is SO simple, yet very deep in the things of God.
    If you have a heart for apostolic faith & life style this will thrill you.

    ReplyDelete