Wednesday, December 14, 2011

"From the Library of A. W. Tozer" by James Stuart Bell

From the Library of A. W. Tozer: Selections from Writers Who Influenced His Spiritual Journey [Book]


Snack of Choice: 
The childhood favorites are still in style. Drakes Coffee Cakes reign supreme in the Collins household, especially at the 2 for $5 price. Adding to the tradition is new revolution in coffee that has taken me by storm, and at the helm is the Caribou blend K-cup. The duo is dynamo and without equal – cause I only use sugar and cream.


Story behind the story:
I feel like it's been two years since I've done a review. SO MUCH has changed, but I've promised to keep the sentimental for another day and another blog. This particular selection is courtesy of Bethany House publishers. They don't require a positive review, but they would like a review. So here we go..


Story Line:
Someone raided Tozer's library. From Augustine of Hippo (AD 354 – 430) to his contemporaries, like G. Campbell Morgan (1863-1945), and all the great theologians in between show their faces in this work. I'm not sure how they compiled this work – was it based on those he quoted in his own works or was it revealed by the polaroid of his office? – still unsure...

The short topical excerpts are broken up in almost a systematic theology. Beginning with worship and working through each member of the Trinity, and addressing issues like prayer and the Christian life – these authors are squeezed for every drop of nourishment they can provide.

I have to say, I hope no one judges me on the contents of my library - I'm still working on it


The Real Story:
A. W. Tozer is one of those names within the Christian community that has been elevated to the realms of the “classics”. This quotable author produced works such as “Pursuit of God” and “Knowledge of the Holy” that leave the reader breathless, challenged, and changed. I've never felt that way; mainly because I have never read his work. So this was my great chance, or so I thought. I misread or misunderstood the content of the book and was anticipating a “best of” collection. I, honestly, was disappointed, but through no fault of the author or its publisher.

Attempting to dismiss that disappointment, I do find value in this resource. It's for sure a great coffee table book, nightstand book, or any other place you might sit and spend time but not too much time... It has potential to be more in the right hands, but I'm just not sure if mine are adequate.

Check out:
Proverbs for more wisdom in small doses.
Anything by Spurgeon!

Rating:
3 out of 5 books on a famous guys shelf

No comments:

Post a Comment