Friday, April 22, 2011

"For Men Only" by Shaunti and Jeff Feldhahn

For Men Only: A Straightforward Guide to the Inner Lives of WomenSnack of Choice:
Stewart's “Colombian Coffee” Ice Cream. FLAVOR OF THE WEEK
! Ya know, some people have it shipped to them across the country, but I picked it up on Bay Rd.

Story behind the story:
I have other books on the reading list that I was supposed to get to first. Yeah... sorry other guys. This book was provided by the Blogging for Books program of Multnomah Books. One of the best programs out there – but that doesn't mean I have to give this book a positive review. I also am not required to give this book a negative review either.

Story Line: 
I'm not supposed to tell you what's in this book unless you're a guy – hence the title – but I'm going to anyway. The subtitle is “a straightforward guide to the inner lives of women.” It's a quick read, but with valuable insights.

Written from Jeff's view, but you can tell Shaunti had quite a voice. Chapters begin by clearing our (men's) view about how women think (and you thought it was impossible. Each chapter ends with practical steps we can take to improve our relationship with our spouse. This book IS primarily for married couples, but those who ever want to talk to a woman would be wise to take a read.

There is a complementary book, “For Women Only,” which was written first. But it was so easy to figure us guys out, they wanted to write a book that would actually challenge them.




The Real Story:

The very first thing you see when you open the book is Quick Start Guide – ha ha, just cracks me up! If you ever find your self in trouble, no need to read it all again – just use the Quick Start Guide (“Why does she...?”, “Here's why”, and “What to do.”)

I've been married for 5 ½ years. I have grown in wisdom, understanding, and all that stuff I'm supposed to know by now. But as I was reading, I thought, “Patti has been telling me these things for YEARS!” Amazing how we sometimes just need a new perspective in order to provide clarity.

Per the authors advice, if you are a lady who is reading the book, please don't have conversations with us about it – just let us work through it. Be excited that we are actually reading this book. It means we're trying :)

It is a GREAT resource! If you're thinking about marriage, dating, etc. – improve your communication with the one you love.

Check out:
“The Five Love Languages” by Gary Chapman (a classic); “For Women Only” (I haven't read it, obviously)

Rating:
4.5 happily communicating couples out of 5 (hey, you can't help everyone!)

No comments:

Post a Comment